Public Health Care
The Vologda Oblast Government emphasizes the importance of promoting health as well as treating illness. Preventive health services such as health education, and the responsibility that individuals have for their own health play a major part in this. While great progress has been made in eliminating infectious diseases, there is still scope for greater success in controlling the major causes of early mortality and disability.
Today all district centres have their own hospitals with modern medical equipment. In case of emergency physicians have aeroplanes and helicopters at their disposal. The workers of big industrial companies have their own medical centres in addition to the state medical institutions.
According to the RF Constitution, everyone shall have the right to health protection and medical aid. Medical aid in state and municipal health establishments shall be rendered to individuals gratis, at the expense of the corresponding budget, insurance contributions, and other proceeds.
The Russian government launched a so-called national projects plan that aims to improve life of Russian citizens, focusing on public health, education, housing and agriculture. In 2006 a national project “Health” was launched to improve the country’s healthcare system through improved funding and healthcare infrastructure. This plan helped equip hospitals and clinics of the Vologda Region with advanced, high-end equipment and ambulance systems, build new medical centres, as well as launch vaccination programs and free health checks. One of the focuses was made on salary increase of medical staff working in the primary care as well as their wider training programmes. The project was initiated by the Russian President Vladimir Putin and coordinated by the President Office.
The main goal of the national project “Healthcare” is to improve quality of primarily health care. The project also envisages creating a favourable environment in clinics, developing digital medicine and solving staffing problems.
Priorities, objectives and tasks of development of public health care in the Vologda Region are worked out within the framework of long-term development strategy in accordance with the decrees of the President of the Russian Federation dated from May 7, 2012 № 597 "On measures concerning realization of state social policy", № 598 "On improvement of state policy in the sphere of healthcare", № 606 "On measures of implementation of demographic policy of the Russian Federation”, Strategy of socio-economic development of the Vologda Region for the period until 2020 approved by decree of the Vologda Oblast Government № 739 dated from June 28, 2010, and the State program of development of public health care in the Russian Federation approved by decree of the RF Government.
Every year the medical institutions of the Vologda Region are renovated, medical equipment is purchased. The emergency medical car-fleet is also upgraded.
Preventive medicine is also being developed in the Vologda Oblast. Its goal is to protect, promote, and maintain health and well-being and to prevent disease, disability, and death.
The following key tasks have been identified in the field of prevention and development of primary health care for 2021:
- control of the epidemiological situation concerning the novel coronavirus infection;
- increasing the availability of primary health care, especially to rural residents;
- improvement of screening examinations and the quality of preventive medical examinations;
- reducing mortality rate;
- adult population coverage for health examinations;
- improving the quality of prophylactic medical examination and checkup;
- implementation of priority projects in the field of healthcare - "A new model of a medical organization providing primary health care", "Improvement of health care processes and outcomes by introducing information technologies»,
- implementation of regional projects "Development of primary health care", "Strengthening of public health", participation in the implementation of the regional project "Development and implementation of a program of improvement of seniors quality of life.