Location: south-western part of the Vologda Oblast
Border regions: the Yaroslavl Region, the Tver Region, the districts of Kadui, Ustyuzhna, Belozersk, Kirillov and Sheksna within the Vologda Oblast
Distance from Vologda: 131 km
Transportation routes: highways Vologda-Novaya Ladoga, Cherepovets-Zagorsk, railway stations in Cherepovets and Suda, an airport in Cherepovets
The district has rail access to Vologda, the oblast's administrative center, Moscow, and St. Petersburg.
Industrial production of the district is concentrated in two main sectors: manufacturing – 58.7 %; production and distribution of electricity, gas, steam and water – 41,2%.
Agriculture also takes a dominating position. As of January 1, 2016, 1533 residents of Cherepovets District are employed in this sphere.
Attractions and tourism
The district contains six cultural heritage monuments of federal significance and several objects classified as cultural and historical heritage of local significance. The federal monuments are the Galsky Estate and the church complex in Nelazskoye, the church complex in Dmitriyevo, and the remains of Lomsk fortress.
The Galsky estate was restored and is currently an ethnographic museum.
- A wooden Church of the Assumption (1694) in the settlement of Nelazskoye
- Church of the Annunciation (1673) in the settlement of Dmitrievo
- Church of Saints Joachim and Anna (19th
century) in the settlement of Nosovskoye
- A monument to the Russian orthodox saints Peter and Fevronia of Murom, patrons of the family and marriage, in the settlement of Andogsky
- A monument to poet Igor Severyanin in the settlement of Soivolovskoye
- The Memorial estate of poet Igor Severyanin in the settlement of Vladimirovka (the museum presents exhibitions on his life and literary activities)
- Centre of Traditional Culture in the settlement of Voskresenskoye
The name of the area appeared before the city of Cherepovets emerged.
The foundation of Cherepovets is traditionally ascribed to the monks Feodosy and Afanasy. In 1362, they founded the Cherepovets Resurrection Monastery, in the vicinity of which a small village of Fedosyevo was founded. Historians consider the former village of Fedosyevo to be the heart of modern Cherepovets. It has developed throughout the centuries into an important regional centre of trade, manufacturing and transportation.
In 1777, the town of Cherepovets was founded as a merger of several villages, and in 1802, it became the seat of Cherepovetsky Uyezd of Novgorod Governorate (into which the viceroyalty was transformed in 1796). In September 1937, Cherepovetsky District was transferred to newly established Vologda Oblast and remained there ever since.